Monday, February 18, 2008

Support the troops

Apparently, the government is now offering $40,000 enlistment bonuses to high school graduates who join the Army. And noted liberal journalist Fred Kaplan thinks it's a crappy idea.

I think being in the military, especially the Army, especially the Army during wartime, is a crappy, crappy job, and I think people who do it should be paid very, very well. So the idea of this kind of bonus (which is meant to be applied to college tuition or buying a house, anyway, as opposed to just being a dufflebag full of twenties) doesn't bother me a bit. However, here is what I think may be a better idea for combat veterans, and which might also solve a few other problems we're having:

a) How about the government buys up every house currently on the market anywhere in the U.S., and then gives them to combat veterans after they complete their enlistments?

b) How about the government spends a couple of billion dollars tearing down the old, crappy VA hospitals and putting up brand new ones?

Just off the top of my head, these both strike me as fabulous benefits to offer our combat veterans once they are no longer in the service -- a free house, and free, top flight medical care for life.

Call me a starry eyed dreamer, I guess.

2 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Call me a starry eyed liberal, but I totally agree with you.

I think the point of the column might have been we should stop offering so much incentive for us to go off and fight, what I'm sure the columnist thinks is a wrong war.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

superb post, thanks for sharing.

laptop on hire in delhi
Hire on projector in delhi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home